STOP SHOULDING ON YOURSELF
I have a confession.
I’m a ‘Should-er’.
So what is should-ing?
- Using the word ‘should’ in your head or out loud.
- Making decisions based on what you ‘should’ do.
- Trying to please others based on that ‘should-ing’ voice in your head.
Here are some examples…
- I should go to that birthday party.
- I should clean up the house.
- I should be more outgoing.
- I should learn about world history,
- I should care about…
- I should phone such and such.
- I should make more of an effort with …
- I should work harder.
- I should get up earlier.
- I should go to bed earlier.
- I should clean the fridge.
- I should look at my budget….
Have you been ‘Should-ing’ lately?
If you are having trouble with the SHOULD-ING, ask yourself this:
- Does your pet use the word ‘should’?
- Do you think a wild elephant uses the word should?
- Does a dolphin using the word should?
And if you are having trouble with this concept, ask yourself this question.
- Does a CAT use the word should?
I don’t think so.
We can learn from the animals.
Start living and making decisions based on:
What you WANT to do.
What you feel called to do.
By ‘should-ing’ – we are not being our authentic selves.
We are hiding behind a mask of what we ‘think’ we should be.
Try and NOT use the word SHOULD.
Try and NOT make decisions based on it.
Let me know how you get on.